Subject: Excel for Office 95
From: Kartik Seshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:52:30 -0500

If you have Win95 Excel, try this out.  This is weird!!
 
If you have Excel for Windows 95, this really works.  (Those people
at Microsoft must have a lot of time on their hands!)
 
   1. Open Excel for Windows 95 with a blank worksheet
   2. Scroll down to row 95
   3. Click on the number 95 to select the whole row.
   4. Press Tab once to move to column B
   5. Select the Menu Help...About MicroSoft Excel
   6. Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click on the Tech Support button
   7. A window labeled Hall of Tortured Souls appears
   8. Directly ahead of you are stairs with a scrolling cast list go
      up and take a look around - use cursor keys
   9. But there's more!  Turn around, go back down the stairs and type
      "excelkfa" (no quotes)
   10. The wall diappears, and there's a winding path to navigate
       to see pictures.  Tread carefully!
 
It's no wonder excel takes up so much memory. I wasn't able to navigate
the path to the pictures, though. I kept falling off. Is this the
"funcres" file being opened when Excel 95 is launched?

From: [email-masked] (Joe Morris)
Subject: Ye Olde Secrete Screene Cheete Sheete (long; 1500+ lines)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1992 19:13:36 GMT

Copies to: alt.folklore.computers
           bit.listserv.win3-l
           comp.os.ms-windows.apps
           comp.os.ms-windows.misc

I don't monitor the Mac, Amiga, or many of the other groups which support
some of the non-PC products mentioned in this list.  Readers are welcome to
repost this document to those newsgroups (or anywhere else); if there's
enough interest I can add other groups to the distribution list.

Recipients are encouraged to redistribute this file to anyone who requests
a copy, including BBS and archive sites.  I cannot offer it by anonymous
ftp and my employer would prefer that I not be inundated with requests
to mail out copies.

Joe Morris / MITRE

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  begin included text  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

***** E A S T E R   E G G   H U N T   R E S U L T S *****

Collected from various sources; the names in each entry show where
I got the info, which may or may not be where the egg was first
discovered.  As usual, should you be killed or captured ... oops,
wrong tape.  No warranties, express or implied; your milage may
vary, and there may be weather tomorrow.  Contributions of additional
Easter Eggs gleefully accepted and will be posted on a totally random
basis; please send them to [email-masked]

If the submitter prefers to remain anonymous, contributions will be merged
without the associated name.  (Translation: vendor staff submissions are
solicited...)

Entries may be edited for clarity, consistency, and whatever I feel like
on any given morning.

This listing may be redistributed without limitation.  No copyright is
claimed on its contents, but suitable credit for both the individual
entries and the compilation would be appropriate.

Last update: 12/28/92
--------------------------------------------------
Recent additions:

Corel Draw! 3.0
  
Windows applications:
  PageMaker 4, Aldus Table Editor

OS/2:
  Followup comment on the developer's name list in OS/2
  Lockup option

acorn Archimedes:
  Info on the results of certain SYS calls in RISC-OS
  Additional Easter eggs in RISC-OS

Commodore PET:
  Poke to get many lines saying "MICROSOFT!"

None of the Above:
  MVP Rasterizer cards
  Maxis simulations (SimCity, SimAnt, SimEarth, A-Train)

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Windows 3.0
---------------------------------------------------

Source: unknown

Press and hold F3
Type the four characters WIN3
Release F3
Hit the backspace key

The display can be cleared by pressing the left mouse button.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Windows 3.1
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Tom Tanida ([email-masked])

1. Hold down Cntl and Shift simultaneously (keep holding them down for all
     of the following steps).
2. Select Program Manager's Help menu option, and select "About Program
     Manager".
3. When the box pops up, double click inside one of the four panes in the
     Windows 3.1 logo.
4. Click OK.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 to see a flag waving.
6. Repeat steps 2-4 again to see the credits.  (Is that a picture
     of Bill Gates there? :-) )

   (Note: my tests indicate that if you try this a third time you'll
   get nothing; try it a fourth time and you're back at the waving
   flag.  jcm)

The display terminates immediately when the OK button is pressed (step 4).

Some followup to the Windows 3.1 egg, from contributions by:

   Mark Scase ([email-masked])
   Jill Patterson ([email-masked])
   JT Anderson ([email-masked])
   Andrew Turner ([email-masked])

You don't have to be in Program Manager to do this.  It seems to
work in any "About" box of an application provided with Windows
3.1 (eg file manager, write, paintbrush, clock etc).

The character appearing in the graphic with the name scroll changes each
time you see it; there are four distinct figures:

a bald man  (Steve Ballmer)
a man with a beard and dark hair (Brad Silverberg),
a man with glasses and fair hair (Bill Gates), and
a Teddy bear...apparently the logo of bugs@microsoft

The Bear is a Microsoft euphemism for someone who comes along and bonks
programmers for introducing bugs into test code(as in Smokey the Bear, who
crushes your butts). The concept of the Bear is so much a part of debugging
at Microsoft that certain, undcoumented functions used for testing Windows
components such as USER.EXE are named things like Bear351."

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Excel 3.0 for the PC
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Aaron Wallace ([email-masked]) who credits Computer
        Currents for the info

Formula Goto the *last* cell: IV16384
Scroll until this is the only cell visible, in the upper left corner of the
    screen.
Set its row height and column width to 0
Double click on the little button in the upper left corner.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Excel 4.0 for the PC
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Phil Wherry ([email-masked])

Go to the tool bar and right click.
Choose customize
Now choose custom in the dialog
Drag the solitaire icon off to the excel desktop somewhere
close the dialog box
Now, with the control and shift down click the solitaire icon
Keep the keys down to see names...

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Excel 3.0 for the Mac
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Arthur Evans ([email-masked])

Under Excel 3.0: Open a new worksheet and select a cell.  Using STYLE in
the FORMAT menu, give it style EXCEL.  Open the About... menu from the
Apple menu click in the Excel symbol.  Keep waiting -- there are two
screens.

--------------------------------------------------
Product: Word for Windows, v1.1
--------------------------------------------------

Source: Todd Lutz ([email-masked])

Here is a hidden feature of Word for Windows:
  1. Turn CAPS LOCK on.
  2. Choose Format, Define Styles, Options.
  3. In the Based On field, select Normal.
  4. You will get an error message, select OK.
  5. Select Cancel.
  6. Select Help, About.
  7. Make sure your mouse cursor is inside the help box, then press the
     following four keys all at the same time: OPUS

You should get some fireworks with the authors names scrolling on the
screen.

--------------------------------------------------
Product: Word for Windows, v2.0
--------------------------------------------------

Source: [email-masked] (nancy b.)

    To see some cute animation, a not-so-subtle jab at WordPerfect,
    and a list of those responsible for "wizardry", "quality",
    etc...  on the Word for Windows 2.0 project:

    1) Start WfW 2.0.
    2) In the Tools menu, click on Macro.
    3) For the Macro Name, type   spiff  [stop the macro recorder -- jcm]
    4) Click on Edit.
    5) Delete the lines    Sub MAIN   and  End Sub
    6) In the File menu, choose Close.
    7) You will be asked if you want to save the changes.
       Click on Yes.
    8) In the Help menu, click on About.
    9) Click on the Word icon in the upper left, and enjoy ;-).

    If you have high resolution drivers, you might not see that awful
    green WordPerfect monster or the little people jumping up and
    down in glee after they make it go away.  If all you see is the
    fireworks with the credits rolling in the foreground, then this
    is the case.  Change to a lower resolution (800x600 or 640x480)
    driver to see the first part also.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Other Windows applications on a PC
---------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Application: PageMaker 4 for Windows
--------------------

Source: Peter Reece ([email-masked])

There is an egg in Pagemaker 4 as follows:
   1. Depress and continue to hold shift-control
   2. Open 'Help', 'About PM4'
	A list of PageMaker authors and contributors will appear

There is also an Egg in Aldus's Table Editor as follows:
   1. Depress and continue to hold shift-control
   2. Open 'Help", 'About TableEdit"
	A list of TableEditor authors and contributors will appear

--------------------
Application: Solitaire game distributed with Windows
--------------------

Source: Joe Robison ([email-masked])

 From: [email-masked] (Hank Pfeil-Alumnus)
>
>Here's a neat trick you can play on your computer:  Start "Solitaire"
>...  Now, if the card game only had a cheat mode....

There is.  If you're playing "Draw Three" you can hold down
Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click on the deck to draw single cards
(just don't hit the Del key!)

--------------------
Application: Norton Desktop for Windows 2.0
--------------------

Source: Rich Santalesa and David Harvey's column in 6/92 _Computer_Shopper_

With NDW 2.0 in the foreground, hold down the N, D, and W keys, then click
HELP -> ABOUT, then double-click on the Symantec icon in the upper left
corner.  The response is a group of photos of the NDW development team,
plus a scrolling title bar with quotes from Shakespeare.

In a followup, Brian Downing ([email-masked]) says:

Just choose HELP|ABOUT and then double click on the icon to make
symantec disappear, then press the N,D,&W keys.

In another followup, Mark Scase ([email-masked]) adds:

Whilst in the desktop, click on help about.  Press N, D and W at the
same time and double click on the icon in the about box.

A window pops up containing 15 black and white pictures of people with
the status bar entitles NDW Development Team.  This title scrolls to
the left and is replaced with the following (it takes a time for it all
to scroll past):

VIPER TEAM: Yet another great truth I record in my verse, that some
vipers are venomous, some the reverse (Hilaire Belloc)
ENRIQUE & PETER: A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
(Emerson)
MARK: An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose
time has come (Victor Hugo)
MICHAEL: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one (John Lennon)
DOUG: As you already knew, this is the wave of the future! (NDW)
MANSHAN: Very ingenious/important product enhancement realized! (Anonymous)
SUE: I want you all to stonewall it (Richard Nixon)
RENEE: What you achieve depends on what you settle for (Anonymous)
BILL: Fame, fame, fatal fame, it can play hideous tricks on the brain, but
still I'd rather be famous than righteous or holy any day, any day, any
day (Morrissey)
Congratulations Bruce & Vickie!!!! (The Gang)

--------------------
Application: Procomm Plus for Windows
--------------------

Source: Joseph Malloy ([email-masked])

1) >From the Window menu, select Monitor
2) Keep the focus on the monitor (i.e., make sure monitor is active, not
the Procomm Plus terminal window)
3) type GO DATASTORM! (case doesn't appear to matter, but the
exclamation mark is necessary; you'll probably hear beeps as the system
tells you this is an error)
4) Choose Help/About/Credits: instead of the usual list of names, you
should see a nice color picture of, I assume, the primary developers.

--------------------
Application: AMI Pro
--------------------

Source: AVINOAM SHMUELI ([email-masked]), quoting from
        8/92 issue of _PC_ Magazine

Go to the About box under the Help menu and hold down the Shift, Ctrl, and
Alt keys, Press F7, then type the letters S,P,A,M followed by the last number
in the Available Memory display and the third from the last number in
that display. [in my case, 9202k, it was "2" and "2".] Then release the
Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys.

Tiny photo images of the Ami Pro developers appear.

--------------------
Application: Minesweeper game
--------------------

Source: Jay Rosenbaum ([email-masked])

Just start Minesweeper normally.  When it has loaded, type
"xyzzy <ENTER> <SHIFT-ENTER>".  The upper left hand pixel on your
screen will light up whenever your mouse is over a safe square.

--------------------
Application: Corel Draw! V3.0
--------------------

Source: jdmathew ([email-masked])

    Hold down CTRL-SHIFT and select "help" and then "about", while still
holding down CTRL-SHIFT, double click on the balloon on the left side of the
help box.  The box expands, and the text dissapears, and the balloon moves
to the bottom of the box.  Hold down the right mouse button to light the
burner on the balloon.  If you hold the mouse button down, you'll see the
balloon move up, pulling a text banner listing authors and beta testers.
 
[My tests show that the *left* button lights the burner.  Also, if you
release the burner button (whichever one it is) the balloon will slow
its ascent and begin to sink...just like a real balloon.   jcm]

---------------------------------------------------
Product: OS/2
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Janos Haide ([email-masked]),
        also Panagiotis Skagos ([email-masked])

Make the desktop active (i.e., click on the desktop).

Press alt-shift-ctrl-o simultaneously.  You get a beach scene with
a pink flamingo (and other nifty things) plus a list of the program
authors.

Press any other key returns you to your regularly scheduled Workplace Shell.

A followup posting from Mike Levis ([email-masked]) says:

According to the FAQL, you also need to have the optional bitmaps
installed as well.  I think selecting the optional bitmaps unpacks
two files called "AAAAA.EXE" and "AAAAA.MET" to the \OS2\BITMAP dir.

Source:   Cjin Lee ([email-masked], [email-masked])

Click on the desktop with right mouse button. Select
Setting->Lockup. Go to Page 2/3 for Lockup settings. Select (none)
for the bmp to display for lockup. Now get out of the settings mode
and try lockup.

When "none" means something......

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Macintosh hardware and OS
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Louis Koziarz ([email-masked])

Product: Mac SE

Get into the debugger
Set PC to 41D789A  (i.e., >G 41D89A at the prompt)

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Luke Mewburn ([email-masked])

Product: Macintosh II models (exact types uncertain); Mac SE/30 (hardware)

Set the system clock to the American release of the machine [what are
        the valid values?  jcm]
Reboot, holding down command-option-model name characters (e.g., on
        an FX you hold down cmnd-opt-f-x)

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Louis Koziarz ([email-masked])
      (and many, many others)

Product: Mac SE, Mac II ci

On a Macintosh SE, hit the programmer's switch, then type G 41D89A

On a Macintosh IIci, first set the date to 09/20/89, then restart
the machine and hold down Command+Opt+c+i during the reboot.

And if you're lucky enough to have an original copy of MultiFinder,
the About box has a simple tremendous list of credits.  But all
is not lost in the newer versions.  Leave the `About MultiFinder'
box open for about an hour.  It will turn into the message [rot13]

    V jnag zl, V jnag zl, V jnag zl ybbx naq srry.

---------------------------------------------

Source: Arthur Evans ([email-masked])

Product: System 7

Under System 7 with the Finder running, select "About Finder" on the
Apple menu with the OPTION key to see a list of all developers.  Be
patient, it takes a while.  Using OPTION-COMMAND does that and also
turns the cursor into a smiley.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: WORD 4 for the Mac
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Louis Koziarz ([email-masked])

Call up the "About Word..." dialog box
Press and hold the command key
Click on the flying W logo

--------------------------------------------------
Product: Commodore PET
--------------------------------------------------

Source: Jan Schiefer ([email-masked])

On the Commodore PET 2001, a "POKE 6502,n" where 0 <= n <= 255 resulted in
the machine printing the string MICROSOFT! on the screen n times.

--------------------------------------------------
Product: Commodore 128
--------------------------------------------------

Source: Norman St. John Polevaulter ([email-masked])

And of course, going WAY back, there is the credits and anti-war message
you could coax out of a Commodore 128 by typing:

SYS 32800,123,45,6

in BASIC.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Commodore Business Machines 1581 Disk Drive
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Eric Pass ([email-masked])

   error = $ff3f
   org $3000
   lda #$79
   jmp error

 which gives you an author's credit.  Substitute #$7a for #$79 to get a
 dedication to one of the authors' wives.

The two messages are listed in the 1581 dos reference
guide as:

 $79: Software by David Siracusa. Hardware by Greg Berlin
 $7a: Dedicated to my wife Lisa

Here is a BASIC program written by Russell Prater to illustrate the
messages.

10 open15,9,15:n$="m-w":m$=n$
20 fori=1to8:reada:n$=n$+chr$(a):next
30 fori=1to8:reada:m$=m$+chr$(a):next
40 print#15,n$:print#15,"m-e"chr$(0)chr$(3)
50 fori=0to1:get#15,a$:i=st:printa$;:next
60 print#15,m$:print#15,"m-e"chr$(0)chr$(3)
70 fori=0to1:get#15,a$:i=st:printa$;:next
80 data 0,3,5,169,121,76,63,255
90 data 0,3,5,169,122,76,63,255

Information derived from messages on the C_B_M Echo
by Russell Prater and David Schmoll

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Amiga hardware and software
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Raymond Chen ([email-masked])

On the Amiga (NB), perss and hold the following keys:
  LeftShift, LeftAlt, RightShift, RightAlt
Now press one of the 10 function keys.  (Keep those four keys down!)
Each function key produces a different message.

To get the rude message, insert a disk into the internal drive.
(Still holding down all those keys?)  Now eject it.

The rude message has been deleted from newer versions of KickStart.
Get 1.2/33.166 or earlier.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Joe Smith ([email-masked])

With an Amiga running AmigaDOS-1.2, hold down the left-shift + left-alt +
right-shift + right-alt and then press and release F1, then F2, etc.
This will display in the title bar the nicknames of the designers.
Here's a description from 2 years ago:

:Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
:Subject: Re: silly messages
:Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
:Date: 10 Apr 89 18:07:32 GMT
:
:In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kevin Goroway) writes:
:>Were those silly little messages in workbench taken out in v1.3 OS?
:>The ones I am refering to can be seen when one hits LS-LA-RS-RA-Fx
:>while looking at the wkbnch screen...
:>
:>just wondering...
:
:Coincidentally, I forgot to metion in my last posting on this subject that
:it is not just on the workbench screen -- workbench must be loaded, i.e.,
:somewhere the line loadwb had to have been executed before any of this
:happens.  Sadly, the messages are not still there, or if they are, they are
:brought up in some other way in V1.3.
:
:I retraced my steps so to speak, and have come up with the last 2 messages
:mentioned in that last post.  Both shifts, both Alt's, F10, pop out df0:
:disk for one message.  Then, WHILE STILL HOLDING ALL OF THAT (important!!),
:position the pointer in the screen drag bar (at the top), hold down the
:left mouse button (or simulate it by also catching the left A key next
:to left Alt) and reinsert the disk.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago ([email-masked])

   Version 1.0 of the Amiga OS Workbench had credits for the hardware
and software team hidden tucked into some unused bytes. They were accessed
by holding down 6 keys and pressing a 7th. By holding down the same six
keys _and_ ejecting the internal floppy disk you could get:

    "We built the Amiga..."

   and when you pushed the floppy back in:

    "...and Commodore f**ked it up!"

[Following a query from Ye Editor of this FAQ list, the posting continues:]

   Well, it's been a long time since I did this and I probably have it
wrong, and I no longer have a copy of that version, etc., etc.

   But...I think that one held down both shift keys, both alt keys and
both "Amiga" keys, and pressed the function keys in order, to get the
ten credits. The delete key was held down and the disk was ejected to
get the first part of the last message, and pushed back in to get the
second part.

   This is fairly well known in the Amiga community, and the fun stopped
when the biggest Amiga magazine published this little gem. Unfortunetly
I had to get rid of all my old copies of "Amiga World" so I cannot check.

P.S. Yes, I typed this on an old Amiga 1000, but don't worry; I'm not
     dangerous.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Peter da Silva ([email-masked])

[email-masked] (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago) writes:
>    Version 1.0 of the Amiga OS Workbench had credits for the hardware
             ^^^--- 1.2
> and software team hidden tucked into some unused bytes.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Raymond Chen ([email-masked])
        (Forwarding from [email-masked] (Phil Kernick) )

You have to be running KickStart 1.2 (33.166 I think, I can't remember if
they were all there in the 33.180 release).

Now, press the following all at the same time,

        Left-Shift Left-Alt Right-Alt Right-Shift

and then press one of the 10 functions keys (while still holding down
the above four) and you get one of 10 different messages in the menu
bar.

Now for the fun bit.

Do the above, and then while holding down all 5 keys, insert a disk in the
internal drive, and you get *another* message, and for the classic conclusion
after all this (still holding down all 5 keys?) eject the disk, and the
message:

        We made Amiga, they fucked it up

appears in the menu bar.

Now another Amiga hidden message (also in KS1.2).

Go into preferences, on the first screen, there are pictures of two mice,
one to set the double-click speed and one to set the mouse speed.  Click
on each of the buttons on the mice 5 time in the following order.

         1234 1234 1234 1234 1234

           /------\    /------\
           | 1  2 |    | 3  4 |
           |      |    |      |
           |      |    |      |
           +------+    +------+

Now select printer setup, scroll all the way up the list of possible
printers, and then all the way down.

Then the title bar of the preferences window changes to something like
(it been a *long* time since I tried this):

        Congratulations =RJ=

Appearantly just as the guys finished the preferences tool, RJ Michel, one
of the Amiga designers became a father (everybody say aaahh!).

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Jim Shaffer ([email-masked])

Dale Luck, formerly of the Amiga development team, tells a story about
hacking the system software when the custom chips were still on
breadboards.  To prevent blowing out the hardware, he put an anti-static
mat on the floor and convinced everyone to go barefoot.

They would also dance during late-night compiler runs to prevent falling
asleep.  One of the hidden messages in version 1.2 credits "Moral Support:
Joe Pillow and the Dancing Fools."

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Jim Shaffer ([email-masked])

Incidentally, I just re-checked my version of KickStart 1.2.  The "We made
the Amiga, they..." sequence is replaced by "The Amiga - Born a Champion,
Still a Champion."  I couldn't find anything at all in KickStart 1.3.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Peter da Silva ([email-masked])

[email-masked] (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago) writes:
>    But...I think that one held down both shift keys, both alt keys and
> both "Amiga" keys, and pressed the function keys in order, to get the
> ten credits. The delete key was held down and the disk was ejected to
                   ^^^^^^^^^^--- mouse button.
> get the first part of the last message, and pushed back in to get the
> second part.

It also only works with rev 1.2 of the OS. There was also another egg
hidden in the printer preferences. It was a lot less obvious. :->

---------------------------------------------------

Source: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
           .stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) writes:
> A quick search through KS2.04 reveals only two things that I noticed:
>
> 1] something like "what secret message?". (don't remember - I checked this
> a few months back.)
> 2] in hex, FE ED C0 ED BA BE. :)
>

  The hidden Amiga messages were on the Amiga 1000, and then only on earlier
units. One of the messages, accessed by holding down both "Amiga" keys and
two other keys WHILE inserting a disk into the floppy drive, was rather
explicit in its opinion of Commodore after they acquired the Amiga company.
Once word of that message got out, a purge was ordered of all hidden messages.

  BTW, the inside top cover of the Amiga is autographed by the machine
developers (and somebody's dog).

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Peter da Silva ([email-masked])

An undocumented feature of the Amiga 1.2 O/S. If you brought up the mouse
preferences and clicked all four mouse buttons in the picture, then clicked
an invisible gadget next to the date, the window title changed to a cute
message about the programmer's SO.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Norman St. John Polevaulter ([email-masked])

While we're at it, the new OS2.04 has its own set of secret messages.
When workbench is running, hold down control, alt, and shift, and start
selecting items from the leftmost Workbench menu. It may take a few
tries to get them, but they're in there.

--------------------------------------------------
Product: Tandy ColorComputer III
--------------------------------------------------

Source: Jyri J. Virkki ([email-masked])

1) If you hold down <Alt>+<Control> and press the Reset button, you get
   a digitized image of the three guys who wrote the echancements to the ROM's.
   As an additional bonus, this trick served the purpose of performing a
   cold-boot of the computer, allowing you to break out of those annoying
   programs (mostly games) that required you to turn the machine off to
   get out of them.

2) In the built-in BASIC, you could specify CLS n (0<=n<=8) to clear the
   screen with various colors. If you specified numbers out of range, but
   <100, you would get an error message as expected, but the first time
   you did CLS n with n>=100, you would get a short message, again with
   the names of these individuals. Subsequent attempts would just give
   you the standard error message.

---------------------------------------------------
Product:  OS9 level I for the Tandy ColorComputer I, II, and III
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Richard Hempsey ([email-masked])

Hitting CTRL-A, the "repeat previous command line" key at the
command line _immediately_ after boot displays

        by K.Kaplan, L.Crane, R.Doggett

This also works for OS9 Level II for the Color Computer 3, at boot or
after the creation of any new immortal shell.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Acorn Archimedes
---------------------------------------------------

From: Andrew Brooks ([email-masked]), who credits
      them to Julian Wright, [email-masked])

On RISC-OS 2.00:  SYS 68,59243844
On RISC-OS 3.00:  SYS 68,60816742

Additional info from Andrew Brooks <[email-masked]>

The above two SYS calls print a list of the names of the developers.

--------------------------------------------------

Source: Simon Burrows ([email-masked]),
  forwarded by Andrew Brooks ([email-masked])

Following much investigation, disassembly etc, here is a summary of the
RISC OS 3 Credits which work on my machines:

RISC OS 3.00
============

When the RISC OS 3.00 title screen is displayed, quickly type the letters
'r-m-t-m-d', and if you get the timing right, photographs of the RISC OS 3
Development team will be displayed on screen.

Go to the RISC OS 3.00 Info Window (from the switcher icon). Click on the
letters 'r-m-t-m-d' from the words 'Acorn Computers Ltd' using the MENU
button, and a long list of credits will be flashed up.

RISC OS 3.10
============

The photograph facility appears to have been removed.

To access the info window credits, click on the letters 't-e-a-m' from
'Acorn Computers Ltd' using the MENU button, and a (different) long list
of credits will be displayed. (If you click in the wrong places, the
machine *may* crash).

Source: Nicko van Someren ([email-masked]) 
   (also forwarded by Andrew Brooks)

Subject: RISC OS 3.10 Secret message

The other day I was looking through the template files stored in ResourceFS
in the RISC OS 3.10 ROM.  In the template file for the switcher there is
a dialogue box called power.  It appears to contain a secret message left
by the RISC OS team.  Take a look :-)

---------------------------------------------------
Product: NeXT systems and software
---------------------------------------------------

Source: [email-masked], also Timothy Buck ([email-masked])

In Improv (version 1.0) for NeXTstep from Lotus, go to the Info Panel,
and in the space to the left of the Improv title, hold down shift,
alternate, and command, and click the mouse.  A "little man" with big
bug-eyes shows up....

To clear it, you quit Improv.

---------------------------------------------------
Product: None Of The Above (TM)
---------------------------------------------------

Source: "Peter the Bugman" ([email-masked])

Various Maxis simulation games:

For SimCity: On any platform, hold down the shift key and type in "fund". 
This gives you an instant 10,000$, but if you do it too often, you will get
earthquakes, regardless of how the disaster settings are set.

=-=-=-=

For SimEarth: On any platfiorm, hold down the shift key and type in joke,
then open the Gaia window.

=-=-=-=

For SimAnt:  type in any of the following:
oops 
rand
erad
FUND
joke 
HOLE 
hole
jeff
will
These all do various things that are easily recognizable.  

=-=-=-=

For A-Train: hold down the control and alt keys, then type in "bellybutton".  

Once the game is ended, watch very carefully. The ending screen shot is 
not the same.  (Our programmers have a bizzarre sense of humour.)
That is a picture of their, well, er ...uh....  bellybuttons.

------------------------------

Source: Steven R. Staton ([email-masked])

MVP rasterizer cards from Matrix Instruments/AFGA/Miles:

On the {Matrix Instruments|AGFA Matrix|Miles Division Matrix} MVP and  
MVP*Star rasterizer boards for the IBM-pc (used to drive the QCR, PCR,  
Forte, and other film recorders) there is a cookie in the foreground mode  
of the MVP software.  Enter foreground mode and press ALT-<2><5><5> (send  
the ASCII character 255 via the keypad).  The cookie (which is different  
in MVP 3.5, 4.0, 4.1[grrr...] and 4.2) appears in the STATUS box where  
normally there is hexadecimal numbers.

I don't remember the exact wording, but under MVP 3.5 it says  
something like "despite rancid source code, inept management, and  
poor tools, we proudly present MVP 3.5 with EGA and 24-bit overlays--  
D Miller S Staton."

[The text is different in later releases of the program.]

------------------------------

Source: Dean Inada ([email-masked])

Mattel Intellevision games:

Transcribed verbatim off an old photocopy,
we called them "Copyright Kludges" back then.
The date style marks this compilation as the work of
Chris Hawley
[Notation: hold down indicated keys during powerup.]

                Kluge file for Games- Updated 8107.13

ROULETTE:               left = 13       right = 123
SKIING:                 left = 57       right = 57
WORD FUN:               press  43210 during word rockets mode
ARMOR BATTLE:           left = 3        right = 9
HORSE RACING:           left = 69       right = 69
BOXING:                 left = lower two action keys and wheel direction 7
SPACE ARMADA:           left = 46    OR    clear-enter
                          right = lower two action keys
AUTO RACE:              pres  169 on any keypad to get real steering
STAR STRIKE:            left = 19    OR    37
FRENCH CASSETTE:        left = 19       right = 80
                          during introduction (menu #0); then exit to
                          monitor (menu #6)
DEMO CASSETTE:          type "dei" (lower case) during space battle

-------------------------------

Source: John Hawkinson ([email-masked])

On a RSTS/E system, type:

$ HELP SPIKE
$ HELP ADVANCED SPIKE

Of course, these don't show up in the HELP topics listing...

They give info on Spike, the RSTS/E mascot (a bulldog, if
I'm not mistaken).

-------------------------------

Source: Zebee Johnstone ([email-masked])

The Data General AOS/VS 16 bit OS responds to XYZZY with "nothing happens".

The new 32 bit AOS/VS II responds with "twice as much happens"

-------------------------------

Source: Tim Shoppa ([email-masked])

   Typing "SHOW USERS" at the RT11 prompt (a single-user system) gives
   a response of "NOBODY BUT YOU!".

-------------------------------

Source: Denis Fortin ([email-masked])

Also in RT-11:
    Typing HELP FOO
    produced NO HELP IS AVAILABLE FOR FOO

    But typing HELP ME
    produced NO HELP IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU

-------------------------------

Source: Joe Newcomer and many others:

under TECO, originally under TOPS-10 and subsequently ported to other
platforms (including this Easter egg):

Type the command:

    MAKE LOVE

which is supposed to create a new file named LOVE using TECO.  The
command executes as intended, but only after responding with a message:

    Not war?

-------------------------------

Source: Barry Ferris ([email-masked])

of course, this wasn't the only TECO egg...type in:

         $ make  war
to get
          not love?

-------------------------------

Source: Earle Ake ([email-masked])

  VMS Easter Eggs:

$ anal/system

VAX/VMS System analyzer

SDA> show cluster/scs

VAXcluster data structures
--------------------------

         --- SCS Listening Process Directory ---

Entry Address     Connection ID     Process Name    Information
-------------     -------------     ------------    -----------

  80308800          071D0000        SCS$DIRECTORY   What city, plez?
  803087A0          071D0001        MSCP$TAPE       NOT PRESENT HERE
  80308740          071D0002        MSCP$DISK       NOT PRESENT HERE

----------------------------

Source: [email-masked]

 The following exists on every VMS I have ever seen:

 % mcr sysgen
 SYSGEN>  SHOW TIMEPROMPTWAIT
 Parameter Name            Current    Default     Min.     Max.     Unit  Dyna
 --------------            -------    -------    -------  -------   ----  ----
 TIMEPROMPTWAIT              65535         -1         0        -1 uFortnight

 Also, I no longer have access to a VMS DBMS, but I recall that typing
 HELP WOMBAT inside the DBMS would give about three pages of interesting
 facts about Wombats, and that PLOT WOMBAT would draw a wombat on your
 terminal.

-------------------------------
 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Hewlett-Packard products
---------------------------------------------------

Source: Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago ([email-masked])

In a prior article Norman Soley writes:

>In a prior article Steve VanDevender writes...

>>The weirdest thing I found in my HP 150 is that the phrase "My
>>mind is going..." is burned in one of the ROMs.  I have no idea
>>why it's there or if it would ever appear on the screen.  My pet
>>theory is that it's a diagnostic that appears if some of the ROMs
>>are missing (a la the HAL dismantling scene in 2001).

>More likely someone noticed there were a few unused bytes at the end of the
>ROM and slid that in as a joke. There is the well know story of the "resist
>the draft" message that's stored in some user inaccesable (usually) part of
>someone's LOGO and one or more of the VAX chips has "VAX, for those who care
>enough to steal the best" in Russian on an unused part of the mask....

>In all cases the companies involved claimed no knowledge of these when
>discovered.

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Mik Butler ([email-masked])

>If I remember correctly there was an easter egg in the 150 that would
>cause it to respond to XYZZY in the right circumstances.
>The 'My mind is going' may well have been the response.
>
>Rodney Brown,  Co-Cam Computer Group,  ACSNet: [email-masked]

To get an HP150 (or HP2625/HP2628 terminal) to produce the "my mind
is going..." message, send or type the sequence <esc>&a?

---------------------------------------------------

Source: Steve VanDevender ([email-masked])

   In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mik
   Butler) writes:
   >
   > To get an HP150 (or HP2625/HP2628 terminal) to produce the "my mind
   > is going..." message, send or type the sequence <esc>&a?

Thank you thank you thank you.  I discovered the "My mind is
going..." message when I was in larval stage not long after I got
my 150 and wrote a memory scanner.  Only now, almost eight years
later, do I know how to get the message.  It indeed works on my
HP 150 with Rev B roms.

============================================================

The following is a massive summary of Macintosh Easter Eggs compiled
by Bryan Kendig of Princeton, and forwarded to me by Kees Huyser.
Please send any comments or updates to this FAQ list directly to
Bryan at [email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------------
                   The Macintosh Secret Trick List
      compiled by Brian Kendig ([email-masked])
                           Fifth revision.

Please report corrections to me, no matter how insignificant!
You may (of course!) distribute information about these tricks freely,
but please keep my name on this list if you pass it around whole.
New info about tricks will be attributed and very much appreciated.

The information below includes what to do to make a trick happen, then
what the trick really is.  If you don't want the trick spoiled (you
don't want to know what it does until you try it yourself), you can
display only the instructions for making it happen (the lines that
begin with an equals-sign) with the Unix command

        grep '^=' tricks

where "tricks" is the name of this file.

Here's a not-a-trick that every Tom, Dick, and Harriet out there has
been reporting to me: Press Command-Option-Escape to kill the process
currently in the foreground.  This is useful if your machine is taking
way too long to finish something and is ignoring you, or if your
machine has crashed -- sometimes you can use this trick to regain
control of your machine long enough to save your work and restart your
Mac.  (After you use this trick, you should generally restart as soon
as possible.)

A lot of people have been telling me about this, but it's not a trick!
It's a documented feature of System 7.  However, since lots of people
never saw it in the manuals, I might as well have it here too.

= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
=                              Hardware
=
= Macintosh Plus
= >From the debugger, enter "G 40E118".
=
  This gives you a "Stolen from Apple Computer" message.

= Macintosh SE
= Hit the interrupt switch (the button with the broken circle on it, on
= the left side of your machine closer to the back) to go into the
= built-in debugger, and enter "G 41D89A".
=
  Four bitmap pictures of the Macintosh development team appear as a
  slideshow.  Reboot (hit the button closer to the front, with the
  triangle on it) to get out of the endless cycle.

= Macintosh Classic
= Hold down Command-Option-x-o right after you turn on or reboot the
= machine.
=
  The Classic starts up from a minimal ROM-disk which contains
  System 6.0.3, Finder 6.1x, and AppleShare.  (This version of the
  System is not recommended to run the Classic under.)  If you look at
  the ROM-disk with a program able to see invisible files (like ResEdit
  or MacTools), you'll find folders hidden there bearing the names of
  the Classic designers.

= Macintosh IIci
= Set the system date to 9/20/89 (the release date of the IIci), and set
= your monitor to 8-bit color.  Restart while holding Command-Option-c-i.
=
  You'll see a color picture of the IIci design team.  Click the mouse
  to continue.

= Macintosh IIfx
= Set the system date to 3/19/90 (the release date of the IIfx), and
= restart while holding down Command-Option-f-x.
=
  You'll see a color picture of the IIfx design team.  Click the mouse
  to continue.

= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
=                               System
=                 ("7.0" means "7.0.0" or "7.0.1".)
=
= Multifinder 1.0 (distributed with System Software prior to 6.0)
= Hold down Command and Option while selecting "About Multifinder"
= from the bottom of the Apple menu.
=
  A scrolling list of credits appears.
  (Contributed by Seth Theriault)

= Multifinder 6.0
= Search the STR# resources with ResEdit.
=
  One STR# resource contains three strings:
    "I want my"
    "I want my"
    "I want my l--k and f--l"
  (Anybody know how to get this message to come up without having to
   snoop around in ResEdit?)
  (Contributed by Tony Cooper)

= System 6.0.7 or 7.0
= Take a look through the data fork of the System File (with MacSnoop
= or MacTools, or open it with MS Word).  (It's short.)
=
  The string "Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a system
  software factory!" is at the end of the data fork.
  (Contributed by Kevin Bolduan)

= System 6.0.7J (Kanjitalk)
= Set the clock to January 1, 1992, and restart.
=
  The startup screen says "Happy new year" in Japanese.
  (Contributed by Junio Hamano)

= Finder 7.0
= Hold down Option while choosing "About This Macintosh".
=
  (The menu option changes to "About the Finder".)  The original picture
  of the mountains from System 1.0 appears.  If the creation date of the
  invisible "Desktop Folder" is May 13, 1991, or later, the names of all
  the Finder developers through Mac and Lisa history also scroll by.
  Hold down Command-Option while choosing "About" to get a goofy-face
  cursor.

= Caches 7.0.1
= Option-click on the version number in the upper right-hand corner.
=
  The "040" icon will whoosh over, revealing the name of the programmer.

= Caps Lock 7.0.1 (on a PowerBook)
= Turn on balloon help, press Caps Lock, and point to the up-arrow icon
= in the menu bar.
=
  The balloon help reads: "This file allows your Macintosh TIM or
  Derringer to display an icon..."  (These were the working names of the
  PowerBooks; Apple forgot to change the extension before System 7.0.1
  was released!)

= Color Control Panel 7.0
= Option-click on the Sample Text a few times.
=
  The strings "by Dean Yu" "& Vincent Lo" alternate.

= Labels Control Panel 7.0
= Delete all the label names in the Labels control panel, and reboot.
=
  The labels are now "None," "a", "l", "a", "n", "j", "e", "f".

= Map Control Panel 1.x (released with System 6) and 7.0
= Type MID as the city name, and click Find.  Also try: clicking on the
= version number, option-clicking on Find, opening the control panel
= while you hold down shift and/or option, clicking somewhere in the Map
= and dragging off the edge of it, or copying the map from the Scrapbook
= and pasting it while the Map control panel is open.
=
  The stored point MID is actually "Middle of Nowhere", an insignificant
    location in the middle of the South Atlantic.  (This one was added
    in version 7.0.)
  Clicking on the "7.0" puts "v7.0, by Mark Davis" into the city name
    field until you release the mouse button.
  Option-clicking on Find repeatedly will take you alphabetically to
      every city the Map knows.
  Opening the control panel while you hold down the shift key will
    display a magnified map (the resolution is the same, so it's very jagged).
    Opening it with option held down magnifies it more, and shift-option
    magnifies it even more to the point of being really blocky.
  Dragging off the edge of the map will scroll around the world.
  You can paste a new picture into the control panel; the Scrapbook that
    comes with System 7 includes a particularly good color map.
  (Contributed by Takeshi Miyazaki and Doc O'Leary)

= Memory Control Panel 7.0 (on a machine capable of virtual memory)
= Turn on virtual memory and hold down Option while clicking on the
= pop-up menu used to choose a hard drive for your swapfile.
=
  This brings up a hierarchical pop-up menu with the names of the
  programmers; each name points to a submenu with a few comments.
  (Contributed by Povl Hessellund Pedersen)

= Monitors Control Panel 7.0
= Click the version number (7.0) in the control panel window.  While you
= hold down the mouse button, tap Option several times.
=
  When you click, a box pops up with the names of the people who wrote
  Monitors.  Pressing Option makes the smiley face stick out its tongue.
  After tapping Option several times, the names begin to get rearranged
  and some first and last names get replaced with "Blue" or "Meanies".

= Puzzle Desk Accessory 7.0
= You can copy the picture of two linked squares from the Scrapbook
= and paste it into the Puzzle.
=
  In fact, you can paste any picture into the Puzzle, and it will be
  sized to fit.  You can also copy the picture from the Puzzle and
  look at the clipboard to see what it will look like solved.
  (Contributed by Povl H. Pedersen)

= Finder 7.0 and MacsBug
= Turn on Balloon Help and point to the MacsBug file.
=
  The balloon reads: "This file provides programmers with information
  proving that it really was a hardware problem..."

= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
=                           Other Software
=
= Adobe Photoshop
= Hold down the Option key and select "About Photoshop".
=
  A dialog crediting "Knoll Software" as the original designers appears.
  (Contributed by Karl-Koenig Koenigsson)

= Claris CAD
= Hold down the Option key and select "About Claris CAD".
=
  A system configuration summary appears.
  (Contributed by Karl-Koenig Koenigsson)

= Disinfectant
= Select "About Disinfectant."
=
  A bitmap photo of John Norstad appears in one half of the dialog,
  while in the other half an animated sequence of virus names march out
  while the Monty Python theme song plays, until they get stomped by
  a huge foot.
  (Contributed by Dave Claytor)

= FlashWrite II
= Hold down Option as you select "About FlashWrite II" under the "star" logo.
=
  A Mr. Mojo Risin' quotation appears.
  (Contributed by Dave Claytor)

= HyperCard 2.x
= Hold down Option as you select "About Hypercard...".
=
  You get (in 2.1 only) a dialog describing your system setup, and (in
  either 2.0 or 2.1) the chooser name, if you've entered one, appears
  in the "HyperCard by" title.  (That is, if you entered "Joe Cool" as
  your name in the Chooser (6.0) or Sharing Setup (7.0), the top of the
  window will read "HyperCard by Joe Cool".
  Also, on a Quadra, you will be told your system is a "Macintosh Macintosh".
  (Thanks to Seth Theriault for more info.)

= Installer 3.x (this only seems to work under System 6, or am I wrong?)
= After dismissing the initial welcome dialog, type "ski".
=
  A humorous list of the developers will appear, and you will be able
  to choose from five wait-cursors: the hand with the moving fingers
  (standard), a spinning globe, the familiar spinning disc, the even
  more familiar wristwatch, and dots that move.
  (Contributed by John DeRosa)

= Jam Session
= Choose "About Jam Session".
=
  The credits are displayed on the label of a record, and you can hear
  it click (as an old record does after it's played to the end).  When
  you click the mouse to dismiss the dialog, you hear the scratching
  noise of the needle being lifted off the record.
  (Contributed by Joe Campbell)

= KiwiEnvelopes! 3.1
= Choose "About KiwiEnvelopes!".
=
  A letter is deposited into a mail truck which then rolls off the screen.
  After it leaves, a marquee shows the names of the development team.
  (Contributed by Dave Claytor)

= MacDraw Pro
= Hold down Option while selecting "About MacDraw Pro".
=
  The dialog shows your system setup.
  (Contributed by Dave Claytor)

= MacPaint 2.0 (only the first few copies, before Claris caught it)
= Hold down Tab and Space while choosing "About MacPaint".
=
  A bitmap of a well-known painting of a nude zebra-striped woman atop a
  white zebra appears.

= Microsoft Excel 3.0
= Open a new spreadsheet, then go to cell IV16384.  (Press Cmd-Right
=   then Cmd-Down to jump there.)  Use the scroll bars to scroll down and
=   right more until only that cell is showing, then set that cell's width
=   and height both to 0.  All that will remain in your window will be the
=   little square in the upper-left-hand corner that you normally click on
=   to select the entire spreadsheet; click on it.

  The contents of the window will be replaced by a little Lotus-stomping
  then a list of Excel's programmers and beta-testers.  When your normal
  Excel window comes back, scroll away to keep the show from repeating.
  (Contributed by Evan Torrie)

= Here's another: set the style of any cell to "excel" (by selecting
=   "Format Styles..." and typing "excel" without the quotes).  Then choose
=   "About Excel..." from the Apple menu and click on the big Excel icon.
=
  A brief animation ("So good, it hurts.") alternates with the names of
  the developers ("Recalc or Die!").
  (Contributed by Rob Griffiths)

= Microsoft Word 3.01 and 4.x
= Spellcheck the word "childcare".
=
  The spell-checker will suggest one word: "kidnaper" (sic).
  (Contributed by Adam Shostack)

= Microsoft Word 4.0
= Select "About Microsoft Word" and command-click on the Word icon.
=
  The resulting dialog gives the names of beta-testers.

= Norton Utilities 1.1
= Command-click the little rhomboid just in front of the string
= "Version 1.1" in the About box.
=
  A list of the developers appears.
  (Contributed by Karl-Koenig Koenigsson)

= QuicKeys 2
= Open the macro definition window, and click on the logo to bring
= up a credits window.  Wait for about half a minute.
=
  A bunny walks across the window beating a drum.  After it crosses,
  the message "QuicKeys keeps on going!" is displayed.
  (Contributed by Kenny Wong)

= ResEdit 2.1
= Turn on Balloon Help and point to the ResEdit file.
=
  The balloon reads: "... Apple recommends that you use ResEdit only
  on expendable copies of your files."
  (Contributed by Takeshi Miyazaki.)

= ResEdit 2.x
= Hold down Shift, Option, and Command as you choose "About ResEdit."
=
  You get the chance to enter "pig mode" (oink oink oink).
  When you put ResEdit into pig mode, resources will be compacted and
  purged each time ResEdit goes through its event loop (several times a
  second).  (However, since this makes ResEdit slower, it's not of much
  use outside Apple.)
  (Contributed by Ian Neath.
  (Info about "pig mode" from Chris Webster and Russell Street.)

  Mr. Street adds that if you turn on pig mode while running ResEdit
  from a floppy disk the disk will "oink" a few times each second (most
  easily heard on an old Plus in a quiet room), but when I tried this
  my machine crashed.  ;)

= Simple Player (for QuickTime) 1.0
= Hold down Option as you select "About Simple Player..."
=
  The two movie frames now have greyscaled cats in them.
  (Contributed by Scott Ryder)

= SoundEdit
= Choose "About SoundEdit".
=
  A burning fuse bomb "system error" blows up.

= Speed Disk (from Norton Utilities 1.1)
= Command-click the little rhomboid just in front of the string
= "Version 1.1".
=
  The large letters that make up the name "SPEED DISK" swap themselves
  pair-by-pair until the name eventually unjumbles itself again.
  (Contributed by Andy Calder)

= WriteNow 2.2
= Select "About WriteNow", then option-click on the About dialog.
=
  Little men run out and change all the letters one-by-one.

= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=
= And now, for something completely different!
= Masatsugu Nagata has reported a really nifty trick to me that I
= don't have the resources to confirm, but I'd be muchly appreciative
= of any hacker with time on his hands who'd like to pin this one down.
=
= The ingredients:
=   One Macintosh SE/30
=   System 7.0 or 7.0.1
=   Kerry Clendinning's "Easy Keys 1.5" Control Panel
=   QUED/M 2.09 (The text editor from Paragon; little brother of NISUS)
=
= Assign some key combinations in Easy Keys Control Panel.
= Launch QUED/M, and press the key combination.
= Then, an "address error" bomb alert comes up, but you can click on
= "Continue" to keep going -- go ahead and click "Continue".
=
= Everything is normal again until you quit QUED/M, at which time
= the screen blanks to all white except for the figure of a Mac and
= a "Mac SE/30 Engineering Hall of Fame" list.
= The only way out is to press the reset button.
=
= Perhaps the address error hit the address for the "Hall of Fame"
= accidentally.  Hence my request: can anyone pinpoint what this
= address is to run the credits?
=
--

* * *  End of File  * * *
Rob Banz ---------------+-----------------------------------------------------
internet: [email-masked]	| "Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance
   phone: 410-455-3962	|  astounds me."
------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Iskandar Taib)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: PROGRAM BLOAT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J. D. McDonald) writes:
>But I **DO** strongly objsct to undocumented things, as, by definition,
>unless you have some spy, they are useless. The credit screen should be 
>documented. Perhaps a "credits" click box inside the about box.

Here's a neat undocumented feature:

If you are running Novell Netware and Windows 3.1 create a file 
called netware.ini and include these two lines:

[Options]

NetWareHotKey=1

Restart Windows (make sure your netware shell is loaded) and press
F6.

Iskandar Taib                          | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: [email-masked] |    Frog is Frog ala Peach

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,bit.listserv.win3-l,comp.os.ms-windows
Subject: Re: Ye Olde Secrete Screene Cheete Sheete (long; 1300+ lines)

Thanks for the list of software Easter Eggs. I have however, never seen an
analagous list for hardware - undocumented, useful, and sometimes humorous
features in hardware. Here are a few, perhaps someone would like to start
a list
1) IBM PC-XT motherboard (64K-256K system board.)
  The address decoder prom has 3 tables in it that are never used. By 
adding links E1-E2 and E3-E4, and possibly moving the links E5-E8,
you can 
  A) have 128K-512K using the rare 128K drams
  B) have 16K-64K using 4816 drams
  C) have 256K - 640K all on the motherboard - save a slot...

2) IBM CGA card and 100% compatables
   There is a 3rd Colour set in the 320*200 mode. You get it only on an
RGB monitor (not on a composite), by attempting to display a monochrome
mode (i.e. set the color burst disable bit)
   The well-known 100*160 in 16 colors mode I don't know how to get this -
can someone please enlighten me

3) Genuine IBM parallel port and MDA card. 
  By cutting the OE pin on the 74LS374 output latch, and linking it to the
unused output of the control latch, it is possible to have a
bi-directional printer port

4) DEC GT40/VT11.
  a) There is a link on the Bus controller that increses the vertical
resolution from 768 to 1024. You then have to tweak the monitor, giving an
non-square grid.
  b) There is the facility to add boot-roms to the bus controller board.
You fill the 4 14 pin spaces with 8881's, the 16 pin sp[aces with the
ROMs, and move 2 links

5) DEC VT100 and expanded versions.
  a) The LED's on the keyboard are controlled by 4 bits of an 8-bit
register. one of the other bits controls the bell. you can address this as
a higher-numbered LED.
  b) not strictly an easter egg. The Graphics connector on a base VT100
can be decoded and used as a parallel outut port

6) DEC RX02
  There are pins on an inverter chip, pulled high through an set of
resistors. Pulled low, they disable the microcode sequencer and the
microcode roms, for diagnostics

7) DEC PDP11/10S
  Undocumented links on the CPU boards a) Disable the internal serial
port, allowing a DL11 to be used for the console b) disable the bus
arbitor, allowing the device to be used as a parallel slave CPU

That will do for now. Anyone else have some useful undocumented features?
-tony 'PDP11 Hacker' Duell
[email-masked]

From: [email-masked] (CP/M lives!)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Ye Olde Secrete Screene Cheete Sheete (long; 1300+ lines)

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tony Duell) writes:
> 
>    The well-known 100*160 in 16 colors mode I don't know how to get this -
> can someone please enlighten me

I figured it out once, but it's been a while. Basically, you set the thing up
for text mode with only two scan lines per character. Then you use the 
half-filled characters for your pixels. Each character position represents
two pixels. The foreground and background color fields of the character gives
the colors of the pixels.

Very pretty. Did a lot of messing about with it a long time ago.

Roger Ivie ([email-masked])

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Phillips)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Ye Olde Secrete Screene Cheete Sheete (long; 1300+ lines)

[email-masked] (CP/M lives!) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tony Duell) writes:
>> 
>>    The well-known 100*160 in 16 colors mode I don't know how to get this -
>> can someone please enlighten me

>I figured it out once, but it's been a while. Basically, you set the thing up
>for text mode with only two scan lines per character. Then you use the 
>half-filled characters for your pixels. Each character position represents
>two pixels. The foreground and background color fields of the character gives
>the colors of the pixels.

This sounds disturbingly familiar; you can do similar evil things
to a commodore 64 to get an 74x200 in 16colours mode.
You enable bitmap mode (which uses the character screen to
store foreground/background nybble pairs) and increment the 
yscroll register on every line to force a new character DMA
on each raster line.  Cycle through 8 character screens, and
fill your bitmap with $0f, and your set ;)

By adjusting the cycle at which you do the DMA, you can force
the video chips character row counter to reset or not, and
this can be used to provide a copper-list type screen stretching
effect.

Christopher Jam	([email-masked])

From: [email-masked] (Joseph M. Newcomer)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Ye Olde Secrete Screene Cheete Sheete (long; 1300+ lines)

These are all from memory so I may have dropped a few bits...

The Motorola 6800 had an instruction that caused it to cycle through
all 65536 address lines, asserting VMA at the appropriate time.  There
were three explanations for this: it was intended to be a manufacturing
diagnostic, it was part of an uncompleted dynamic memory refresh mechanism
(it was supposed to be able to refresh 4K or 16K RAMS but there ended up
being too little silicon to complete it, so it was just left in) and
finally that it was a way to detect if the 6800 had been reverse-engineered
by clean-room techniques (using the published specs) or by ripping off the
microcode.

The '286 has an undocumented instruction which allows data to be moved
from and to extended memory without going into virtual mode, and which
is used to implement VDISK.SYS.

The best set of such features, however, was on the 360 series, and quite
possibly their derivatives.  The instruction hex 83, "diagnose", was
specified as being "model-specific diagnostic functions".  It turns out
you needed to sign a nondisclosure to find out what it did; on the
360/67 it was an instruction whose effect was to cause a microcode
branch using the instruction's effective address as the microstore
address.  

It has probably been a year since I told this story, so I'll repeat it
here (those of you who have heard it can stop reading now).

About once every three days the 360/67 running TSS/360 at CMU would
stop.  Not just wedge; it would STOP.  Now on a /360, there was NO WAY
to make the computer stop.  For one thing, there was no "halt" instruction.
The best you could hope to do was load a PSW with the 'wait' bit set (and
the importance of the 'wait' bit was that the billing clock was stopped!)
If, in addition, you set the interrupt mask to blind all interrupts, you
could well and truly wedge the machine.  But it remained in RUN mode, with
the WAIT light on.  What we were seeing was the STOP light turning on.
The only way this could be done was by the operator hitting the STOP key.
But the operator didn't hit the stop key.

It was finally discovered.  Due to the utterly horrible decision to (a)
write the kernel in assembler and (b) allow each intermodule call to 
define its own calling convention, a particular subroutine would 
occasionally clobber a register it was not supposed to modify.  The
result was that when some caller higher in the chain finally returned
through this register, instead of returning to code, it branched into
data.  Mostly, this caused an opcode trap in the kernel and the system
rebooted.  However, about every three days, the data pointed to contained
hex 83 followed by some other bits (always the same).  This caused a
microcode branch to the microcode subroutine that processed the STOP
key!
                                joe

From: [email-masked] (JEFFY )
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: egg in Lotus Freelance Graphics 4 Win

Hold down Ctrl-Shift all the time while doing this:

Pull down Help and select About
Double Click on the FG icon in the Dialog box
you will see a picture of a group of people
and a list of programmers
close the window to exit

this is in my copy of Version 2.0

From: [email-masked] (Michael Kenney)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,rec.humor.d
Subject: Re: Funny computer messages
Date: 20 Jan 1994 07:46:09 GMT

On our Stellar/Stardent GS2000, the 'ps' command prints the following
message if it catches a 'cat' process exiting:

	ps: your cat just died :-)

(Smiley is part of the message)

From: [email-masked] (Liam Hoekenga)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Impossible error messages
Date: 21 Jan 1994 19:30:35 GMT

There are / were a couple of things like this on MTS (Michigan Terminal
System.. an obsolete operating system for IBM mainframes).

If you made a file called "godzilla" and you tried to delete it (destroy
godzilla), MTS would say something like "You can't destroy Godzilla, he's
an invulnerable monster!" Unfortunately, this one's been removed.

If you're in the message system, and you type "fuck" it'll say "Tsk. Tsk.
 You'll never make it to Medical School talking that way."

Also in message system... when you're read to post a message, the command
line looks something like "Post, destroy, edit, help, etc."
If you type "etc" it says "Good Grief!!!  There isn't really an ETC
command, I just meant etcetera."

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,rec.humor.d
Subject: Re: Funny computer messages
From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 23 Jan 94 23:22:43 MST

The SDS Extended Fortran compiler would accept the following non-standard
syntax for a computed GO TO --

       ASSIGN label TO variable

as well as the standard syntax in which you had to list all the possible
labels that you might assign (this was Fortran IV, not Fortran 77).

If you were cute enough to try:

       ASSIGN label TO JAIL
       .....
       GO TO JAIL

you'd get the message:

        WARNING: GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.  DO NOT PASS GO.  DO NOT COLLECT $200.
        STATEMENT DELETED.

which was curious because a warning did not warrant statement deletion,
and the statement was not actually deleted.

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Usher)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Impossible error messages 
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 08:43:12 GMT

The debugger I used to use on my old Sinclair QL, I think it was called
QL-Mon, had a command called "clone" which would effectively fork the
process into two copies, both displaying to the same windows.

If you typed "clone clone" a little lymeric would appear in the output
window:-

There once was a man called Paddy Malone,
Who once tried to clone a clone.
The mess on the heap,
Caused the quantum to leap,
And sent him off into the unknown.

This little ditty amused me so much that when I wrote an MSc practical
project on a m68k processor board to control a peripheral board, I gave it a
command line interface with a command called "clone" :-).

By the way.. the QL was a brilliant development machine for this sort of
thing, all you had to do was implement a simple replacement for a subset of
the QDOS I/O routines, which was very simple, and run the code on the target
machine.

From: [email-masked] (Tom Watson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Impossible error messages (was Re: Humor wanted)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 18:53:56 -0800

I wrote a printer driver that took ASCII and translated it to the 13 bit
interface that was used on Qume printers (horizontal motion, vertical
motion, and character).  On the self tests, it printed out two lines one
that was in ASCII order (which wasn't too bad speed wise) and one in
printwheel order which just screamed across the page.  When it finally
rested, it flipped the ribbon up & down in morse code.  It was quite
impressive.  The guy I did it for did a couple of double takes after he saw
it run (I wasn't there) and then snickered at me for including a 'cookie'. 
He thought it was interesting too.  Morse code is great for hiding
messages!!
------
Tom Watson    Not much simpler!!
[email-masked]

From: [email-masked] (Fizban)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Funny computer messages
Date: 27 Jan 94 17:11:41 +0100

While using AmigaMatLab type 'Fuck', it answers with: 'Your place or mine?'
Or try 'why' it can answer with: 'what?' 
				 'R.T.F.M.'
				 'How the hell should i know?'
				 'Pete made me do it.'
				 'Insufficient data to answer.'
				 'It feels good.'
				 'Why not?'
				 '/-- error
				  Stupid question'
				 'System error, retry'

--
Martijn de Jel                      |  Oxygen's for losers!
Dpt. of Electrical Engineering,     | -- Confidence in Red Dwarf `Confidence and
Delft University of Technology,     |                             Paranoia'
The Netherlands.

From: [email-masked] (Guy Dawson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Firmware easter eggs : (was Re: Physical Easter Eggs)
Date: 18 Apr 1994 22:21:43 GMT

This one's for the Brits...

The BBC model A & B micro's have a 16KB ROM containing the OS and 0.75KB
of IO device address space mapped over part of the ROM. These are pages

	&FC00 - Fred   - memory mapped h/w - teletext, prestel, IEE488 etc
	&FD00 - Jim    - mapped memory - 256 bytes of 65K
	&FE00 - Sheila - system hardware, CRTC & video ULA, UART etc

The last address in Fred (&FCFF) is a paging register to set the upper
8 address lines of the 64K block of memory addressable in Jim.

[ Anyone know where these names came from? ]

So, anyway... Something had to be done with the spare 0.75KB in the OS
ROM and the simple answer was to put the names of the development team
there.

Now, who remembers how to read it? No prizes!  

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson 	home	:	[email-masked]
		work	:	[email-masked]
   4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4

From: [email-masked] (Alex Suter)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Computer Folklore
Date: 18 Apr 1994 23:20:20 GMT

Here's an easter egg that I have on good authority will appear in
the upcoming update to the NeXTStep operating system (meaning this
won't apply to most people in the world). Apparantly if you look up
gullible in the new built in dictionary it will say the word isn't
found, and if a picture of the user is available to the computer, it
will then display it right next to the definition. 

Who says CS types don't have any fun... 

--
Alex Suter
[email-masked]

From: [email-masked] (Joe Morris)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Easter Eggs
Date: 5 Feb 95 03:52:37 GMT

[email-masked] (Tony Lima) writes:
>
> [reports the Easter Egg in MS Access 1.1]
>
>If anyone cares (and still is running Access 1.1) e-mail me
>and I'll track down the instructions ... - Tony "egghead" Lima

From the Easter Egg list:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  begin included text  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---------------------------------------------------
Product: Microsoft Access
---------------------------------------------------

Reported by:  Aaron Bregel (and in a slightly shorter form by William Luitje,
              who credits "Computer Reseller News", 4 January 93, Shadowram
              column as his source.)

[reported as applicable to both version 1.0 and 1.1]

Taken from Access Advisor/Premiere issues 1993 p. 41 without
permission By Michael R. Irwin

 1. Open any Access database (the sample NWIND database will do.)
 2. Create a new table named "cirrus".  Be sure you type the
    name in all lowercase letters, as I have here.
 3. Give this new table one field of any type, with no primary key.
 4. Save this new "cirrus" table.
 5. Highlight "cirrus" in the table container.
 6. Select Help, About Microsoft Access...from the database menu.
    Access opens a dialog titled "About Microsoft Access" that
    presents information about your version.  This dialog also
    displays the Access logo at the top left corner. (The logo
    is a key and a table icon with the name Microsoft above
    them.)
 7. Position the mouse pointer on the Access logo.  Hold down the
    Ctrl and Shift keys, and simultaneously double-click the right
    mouse button.

    A special dialog box appears.  The first surprise is the cartoon
    it displays.  Then you will see several minutes of acknowledgments.
    You can speed up the acknowledgments by pressing the Esc key, but
    don't miss the second surprise.  Let the Special Thanks To dialog
    run its course.  Look closely at the last name on the list of
    people being thanked.

    One final hint.  The cartoon might be interpreted as a pair of
    ____."

The answer of course if pair of ducks. (Paradox)

[William Luitje reports that the cartoon is animated: two lightning bolts
come down, annihilating the pair of ducks]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  end included text  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The entire Easter Egg (most recent version: 7/93) is available at the
ftp.cica.indiana.edu archives as win3/misc/secreta.zip.

Joe Morris / MITRE