Subject: UNIX for the PC
From: [email-masked] (Ernest Prabhakar)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 19:30:03 EST
Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny

>>Attribution: ME (original, with a little help from my friends)

In order for UNIX(tm) to survive into the nineties, it must get rid of  
its intimidating commands and outmoded jargon, and become compatible  
with the existing standards of our day.  To this end, our technicians  
have come up with a new version of UNIX, System VI, for use by the PC -  
that is, the "Politically Correct."

			Politically Correct UNIX
			System VI Release notes

UTILITIES:

"man" pages are now called "person" pages.

Similarly, "hangman" is now the  
"person_executed_by_an_oppressive_regime."

To avoid casting aspersions on our feline friends, the "cat" command is  
now merely "domestic_quadruped."

To date, there has only been a UNIX command for "yes" - reflecting the  
male belief that women always mean yes, even when they say no.  To  
address this imbalance, System VI adds a "no" command, along with a  
"-f[orce]" option which will crash the entire system if the "no" is  
ignored.

The bias of the "mail" command is obvious, and it has been replaced by  
the more neutral "gendre" command.

The "touch" command has been removed from the standard distribution due  
to its inappropriate use by high-level managers.

"compress" has been replaced by the lightweight "feather" command.   
Thus, old information (such as that from Dead White European Males)  
should be archived via "tar" and "feather".

The "more" command reflects the materialistic philosophy of the Reagan  
era.  System VI uses the environmentally preferable "less" command.

The biodegradable "KleeNeX" displaces the environmentally unfriendly  
"LaTeX".

SHELL COMMANDS:

To avoid unpleasant, medieval connotations, the "kill" command has been  
renamed "euthanise."

The "nice" command was historically used by privileged users to give  
themselves priority over unprivileged ones, by telling them to be  
"nice". In System VI, the "sue" command is used by unprivileged users  
to get for themselves the rights enjoyed by privileged ones.

"history" has been completely rewritten, and is now called "herstory."

"quota" can now specify minimum as well as maximum usage, and will be  
strictly enforced.

The "abort()" function is now called "choice()."

TERMINOLOGY:

From now on, "rich text" will be more accurately referred to as  
"exploitive capitalist text".

The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.  Such processes  
will now be known as "spiritual guides."

There will no longer be a invidious distinction between "dumb" and  
"smart" terminals.  All terminals are equally valuable.

Traditionally, "normal video" (as opposed to "reverse video") was white  
on black.  This implicitly condoned European colonialism, particularly  
with respect to  people of African descent.  UNIX System VI now uses  
"regressive video" to refer to white on black, while "progressive  
video" can be any color at all over a white background.

For far too long, power has been concentrated in the hands of "root"  
and his "wheel" oligarchy.  We have instituted a dictatorship of the  
users.  All system administration functions will be handled by the  
People's Committee for Democratically Organizing the System (PC-DOS).

No longer will it be permissible for files and processes to be "owned"  
by users.  All files and processes will own themselves, and decided how  
(or whether) to respond to requests from users.

The X Window System will henceforth be known as the NC-17 Window  
System.

And finally, UNIX itself will be renamed "PC" - for Procreatively  
Challenged.
----
UNIX(tm) is a trademark of UNIX System Laboratories.  Any similarty of  
names or attitudes to that of any person, living or dead, is purely  
coincidental.