Subject: Re: List of Computer Related License Plates
From: [email-masked] (Glen Overby)

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Lowrey) writes:
>Frequently Asked Questions, etc...  So in this vein, I propose, and 
>volunteer to maintain, a  List of Computer Related License Plates!

>	I submit two seeds:

>XYZZY   Fritz Lowrey    VA, USA	  Wht pickup    "You are in a maze..."

And what about mere sightings?

Sighting from the Cray parking lot:

MN, USA CRAY T3D (our forthcoming MPP product) on a red Chrystler
LeBaron.  I think it used to be CA plate CRAY C90.  I'm not sure who
drives it.

And for your colleciton, I submit my collection:

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Nolan Hinshaw) writes:
> 	I RTFM
>Almost as good as
>	RPG II
>	RPG III

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (George Emery) writes:
>Here in Portland, OR, there's a young looking fellow who drives a MR-2
>with RTFM on the license plate.

From: [email-masked] (Don Nichols (DoN.))

	Yesterday, I saw "DEV CAR", and talked to the owner.  He was tempted
to put in the appropriate '/' characters with tape, but figured that he'd
get hasseled for defaced tags.

	My own tags are "V7S5 BSD" (I'd like one more space, but the VA DMV
only allows a max of seven chars, including spaces.  The order represents
the order in which I got examples of each at home.

From: [email-masked] (Tom Dubinski)

A friend of mine has 'UNIX V' on his plate. He first had to convince the
provincial motor vehicle branch that 'UNIX' was nothing to do with
'eunuchs' before they would issue it. I also spotted a copycat version
recently, "UNIX 5".

Another friend of mine is considering getting "SU ROOT".

And to dovetail nicely with the CDC nostalgia discussion currently going on
in this group, how about "SB1 1"?  :P  (Yes, I was a systems hack at a CDC
site in a previous life, and no, I don't have that on *my* plate cuz I
aleady have personalized plates with something else.)

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Rogers)

Around '84 or so I saw California plates "BSD 4.2" in Cambridge, MA.

From: [email-masked] (Paul Tomblin)

When I was but a poor student, I had a Beetle.  I wanted to get the
vanity plate 'NOP', since a 6502 Assembler book (I think it was Leventhal's)
decribed the NOP instruction as one that took up space but didn't actually
do anything - very appropriate.

I'm still looking for HCF on a pinto.  (HCF is the undocumented Halt and
Catch Fire instruction on the 6800.)

[email-masked] (Norman Soley) writes:
> In a past life my NCR sales rep had TOWER (on his Porsche)

From: [email-masked] (Pete Holsberg)

The car I autocross (my daughter's fiance's) has the plate: UUCP IT.

From: [email-masked] (Christian Weisgerber)

A couple of days ago I saw         BIT  Z 80

(Considering the German rules for the format of a license plate, this
was very cool).

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kimble)
Subject: Them Zany License Plates

My Nevada license plate reads:  "UNIX OS"

While I figured lots of people wouldn't know what it meant ("If you have
to ask..."), I *was* shocked at how many people think it's some sort of
sexual slur.

From: [email-masked] (Gary A. Gorgen)
Subject: Re: Them Zany License Plates

Mine is   UNIX VII.
This is either 7, 5.2 or something yuo haven't heard about yet.

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Schaumann) writes:
>Last year I saw someone with vanity plates that said "UNIX V".
>Standard issue AZ plates, tho.

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Edward Yagi) writes:
> curious. I saw one in Hawaii with the same "UNIX V" on a cool 
>Mercedes (sp?) convertible, with a HOT babe driving.. (really!)
>(I guess this goes with the female hacker thread too?)

From: [email-masked] (Barry Margolin)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

One of the founders of Symbolics used to have the license plate "HLRZ".
This is the mnemonic for the PDP-10 instruction that implements the Lisp
CAR operation.

From: [email-masked] (Warner Losh)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

One of the OI (an X toolkit) Gurus here has XPERT as his plate.

From: [email-masked] (Don Stokes)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

If I had a vehicle, I think I'd give it a plate of:

				014747

  That translate to the PDP-11 instruction: MOV -(PC),-(PC)
  It actually runs the processor backwards.  If you've mapped memory over 
  all 32k (words) then it will be infinite.  If you run this straight from 
  powerup, the processor will wrap from 0 to 177776, which on most pdp11s is
  the PSW, which will (may) get executed.  What happens then is dependant on
  the contents of the PSW and model of pdp11.

From: [email-masked] (Ed Taft)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

Here at Adobe, there are at least two license plates appropriate to this
thread:

CURVETO -- a Mazda Miata, owned by Bill Woodruff
MOVETO -- an Acura NSX, owned by Andy Shore

From: [email-masked] (Liam Greenwood)
Subject: Re:  Computer-related auto license tags

    The leading light of The First New Zealand Amiga Users Group (Wgtn) has
    plates AMIGA

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Meyer)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

Last year on a visit to Sunnyvale, a Porsche 930 zipped in front of me
on DeAnza Boulevard. His license plate made me laugh so hard, I had
tears running down my face:  MOVEQ

(The mnemonic for the 68000 instruction "move quick").

From: [email-masked] (Nicholas Murray)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

I *think* someone around RMIT here in Melbourne has a car with the number
plate ORAC, after the omniscient computer in the British science fiction
series "Blake's Seven".

From: [email-masked] (Nolan Hinshaw)
Subject: Re: Computer-related auto license tags

Sez here that Bert Metcalf of 3Com carried CSMA CD on his BMW. Ennybuddy know
if he still has the plates?

From: [email-masked] (Glen Overby)
Subject: Re: Wanted: Unix license plate

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (GarBear Irick) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Edward Yagi) writes:
>>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Schaumann) writes:
>>>Last year I saw someone with vanity plates that said "UNIX V". [AZ]

>> curious. I saw one in Hawaii with the same "UNIX V" on a cool 
>>Mercedes (sp?) convertible, with a HOT babe driving.. (really!)

>George Goble, the local UNIX guru at Purdue, has a big white Pontiac
>Transport with a plate that reads "UNIX".  (Hi ghg!)  The same van also has

I'm the proud(?) owner of the ND plates "UNIX V7".  ND's plate motto is "The
Peace Garden State" (how ironical).  I'll sell photocopies :-) Sorry, no hot
babe.

Blayne "chiphead" Puklich <[email-masked]> beat me to "UNIX" by
2-3 months (he got it in about Feb '91) so his white Chevy Blazer sports
that plate.

Last summer I spotted the Minnesota UNIX plate in the Cray Research
parking lot one day, but was unable to identify it's owner.

From: [email-masked] (Don Nichols (DoN.))
Subject: Re: Computer relates plates...

V7S5BSD DoN Nichols     VA, USA    Blue Pickup    Order of owned UN*X flavors

	Which represents the order in which I acquired machines running the
referenced versions.

	I picked the numerical form of '5' rather than the Roman 'V' which
is more common in refering to AT&T's pride to make the plate as a whole
easier to parse.

	I also have a White Mazda GLC with the VA tag 'OS9', from earlier
OS of choice at home.  That one isn't on the road much these days, but then,
that applies to the computer running that OS as well.

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Tufts)

[email-masked] (Roy Zito-Wolf) has the Massachusetts "LISP" plate.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Covington)
Subject: Re: List of Computer Related License Plates

PROLOG  Georgia 1990 (renewable)  Michael Covington  gray Plymouth Voyager van
 (author, Natural Language Processing for Prolog Programmers, and other
   books and articles)