Subject: Re: Receiving mail for unknown users
From: [email-masked] (Booker C. Bense)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail

John Underwood  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I am setting up a mail gateway machine between our internal network and 
>the outside world.
>
>Currently the user database contains only the names of people who are 
>likely to receive e-mail.
>
>I would like to configure sendmail (8.7.3) to deliver messages addressed 
>to people _not_ in the user database to postmaster rather than bouncing 
>them.
>
>Is this possible, and if so - how? I can't find any clues in the 
>documentation or the FAQ.
>

- - All things are possible. In order to begin the quest you must first
quiet your mind. Open your editor, gaze calmly at the sendmail.cf and
contemplate the sound of one address resolving. 

- - Once you have acheived the proper zen, open the bat book. Contemplate
the RHS, while marveling at the beauty of the LHS. Gaze at the editor,
revel in the wonderful absense of comments. 

- - Grab your modem cable and shake it loosely in the socket. Observe the
line noise, this is your mantra and guide to the higher realms. You are
now ready. 

- - The answer you seek lies in the 5th set of rules. Observe the User
map, and the karmic wheel as addresses bounce and fail to resolve, falling
from the nirvana of delivery into the cycle of error. Your spirit guide is
the LUSER_RELAY.  Define him carefully , use your mantra in the 5th set of
rules and rewrite all the names that fall from the karmic wheel to the
postmaster.